Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Hungry, anyone?


There was a big community celebration for Nunavut Day, part of which was a feast of 'country food'. There were large tables set up, with volunteers at each one handing out portions of traditional local food. On the plate above, going clockwise, are two different kinds of bannock, muktuq (narwhal skin and blubber), raw char (a salmon-like fish), and dried caribou. Also available, which I did not even bother to put on my plate, was raw caribou meat. I have to honestly say that I did not eat very much of what was on the plate, but it was a very.....interesting.......experience!! My friend and I ended up eating hot dogs, which we knew were much worse for us, but somehow still more palatable!

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least there weren't any hands or feet on the plate...or snouts! make the 'dogs sound like Heaven!

    ReplyDelete