Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hiatus

I have returned to Iqaluit after a nearly 4 week holiday. It was much needed, and turned out fantastic - I spent some time snowboarding in Jasper, then flew to Honduras to soak up some sun (with proper SPF protection, of course!). I was joined by my friend Esther, and we managed to spend 23 straight days together without any major problems - that's a true test of friendship!! It was a trip full of laughs, relaxation, and just the right amount of excitement....


I learned how to dive, and loved it!! I was not sure how it would go, but I had a fantastic instructor to teach me, a gorgeous setting to learn in, and I didn't freak out underwater. That turned out to be my perfect recipe for diving, because I really enjoyed it and am already thinking about when and where I will dive next. (Looking out my window at all of the snow, it seems like a far-off fantasy!!!)

**If you ever find yourself in West End, Roatan, Honduras and your considering going diving I would highly recommend Coconut Tree Divers....ask for Marco!!!**

Before the sun and the sand of Roatan, we spent 5 days snowboarding. As you can tell from the bruise, I spent a fair amount of time falling on my butt. It took me a long time to get back into the rhythm (I hadn't been on a hill in 3 years) and by the time I did I was pretty beat up and discouraged. Luckily I had Esther to cheer me on (she was a superstar on her board) and I ended up having a great time. When I got back to Iqaluit there was a thick layer of powder, and all I could think was "I wish I had my board gear here". I'm taking that as a good sign!

Other highlights of the trip:
-Icewalk in Maligne Canyon, complete with me being able to
crawl into an ice cave intended for children!
-Seeing a wolf
-Seeing Social Code live at a small bar
-River rafting in the jungle
-Seeing a monkey
-Seeing two sea turtles
-Spending as much time as possible in a hammock

So now I'm back to work, back on call, but also back with some great friends and the days are getting longer and longer. Nothing like a holiday to regain some perspective on life... :o)

1 comment:

  1. GREAT PICTURES SUSAN!!! WE ARE PROUD OF YOUR ADVENTUROUS NATURE.

    ReplyDelete