Saturday, July 3, 2010

Nuuk, Greenland - The Other Arctic

I recently had the opportunity to take a short holiday to Greenland. I had never really thought about traveling there before, but when given the choice I thought it would be an interesting place to visit. More than just interesting, it was also beautiful and delicious(I ate a stunning amount of pastries and cheese!!). There was many similarities to Iqaluit with the tundra and the culture, but there was also a very strong European influence which made it seem worlds apart. It is geographically very close to Iqaluit - just a two hour flight in a small 10-seater airplane.

This was the sign for a playschool, or at least, that's what I think it was - it wasn't immediately obvious, as you can see!!

We saw some trees!! Three, to be exact!! I had heard rumors that there might be some, but was excited to see them with my own eyes! Arctic trees...who would have thought?

I was able to take a few boat trips into the fjord system. There are countless icebergs that are continually calving off of the glaciers that extend from the icecap that covers most of Greenland. The shapes, textures and shades of blue of the different icebergs was stunning.

The ice is thousands of years old, and will eventually melt away in the sunshine as it floats its way down the fjord. I took an icecube off of this one, but I didn't bring a drink to put it in, so I just ate it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment